Hello. My name is Rob. I like to practice Zen, write haiku, share quotes, take pictures, make coffee, and drink coffee. May this site be dedicated to sharing these interests.

"Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.”-Bodhidharma

"When I chop wood, I chop wood. When I carry water, I carry water."-Layman Pang

"You make, You get."-Zen Master Byok Am Sunim

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Pause – A Zen Story 

A number of students were sitting quietly with their teacher one day when a hunter passed by. The hunter was surprised to see the renowned teacher sitting there at ease and doing nothing at all, remarking that the man’s inaction appeared to be a waste of precious time.
“Take your bow, cock it, and fire an arrow,” the teacher responded quietly. The hunter obliged.
“Cock your bow and fire another arrow,” the teacher then said. And the hunter again obliged – again and again and again. 
Finally the hunter spoke up: “Teacher, if I continue to cock my bow at this rate, it will break.”
“The same goes for all of us,” said the teacher. If we push ourselves excessively, we will break too. The right thing to do sometimes is to take a break and cease all activity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment